International Writing Across the Curriculum Conference
June 12-14, 2014
University of Minnesota, USA
View a PDF copy of the Program.
"Shifting Currents/Making Waves"
The International Writing Across the Curriculum Conference (IWAC 2014) theme references the lively Mississippi River (a few blocks from our on-campus conference hotel), WAC's history as a progressive pedagogical movement, and its current activity in an era of accelerated change. Among the shifts and waves we will discuss are those occurring in
- disciplinary and interdisciplinary discourse communities and conventions;
- location, focus, and pace of WAC, WID, and CAC programming;
- understanding of literacy development and transferability;
- multimodal reading and writing;
- methods used to access and attribute intellectual content (formerly known as reading and citing);
- current influence of professional writing upon academic writing and writing instruction;
- global languages and translingualism in the writing-enriched classroom;
- course venues, class sizes, and instructor roles triggered by flipped classrooms, e-learning, MOOCs, etc.;
- writing assessment theory and practice;
- approaches to assessing and sustaining WAC, WID, and CAC programming;
- graduate student mentoring and professionalization in WAC.
To facilitate constructive discussion of these and other field-relevant shifts we will encourage innovative formatting in IWAC 2014 concurrent sessions and will extend particular welcome to sessions that include interaction and discussion. We enthusiastically encourage proposals for sessions that include instructors from diverse academic disciplines and international settings.
Mobile App: Guidebook
The conference now has a mobile application guide on Guidebook. Improve your experience by taking the schedule, exhibitor list, Twitter, and more with you on your phone or mobile device. Available for iOS, Android, Blackberry and web-enabled devices, completely free. Get the app now.
Social Media: Join the Conversation
Follow @IWAC2014 on Twitter! During the conference, use #IWAC14.